Albion College is nationally recognized for its academic excellence in the liberal arts tradition, a learning-centered commitment, and a future-oriented perspective. The College is a leader in preparing students to anticipate, solve, and prevent problems in order to improve the human and global condition. The College immerses students in the creation and processing of knowledge, and graduates skilled architects of societal change, active citizens, and future leaders.
Albion College prepares students for lives of purpose characterized by meaningful careers and responsible leadership, with local and global impact. We are committed to sustaining a diverse, equitable, inclusive and learner-centered environment where all students feel that they belong. We cultivate critical thinking, creativity, and a love of learning rooted in the liberal arts tradition and academic excellence.
Approved by the Albion College Board of Trustees, April 2022.
As a measure of Albion College’s commitment to our students, our public, and the liberal arts tradition, the vision espouses deeply-embedded core values.
- An intellectually challenging and diverse community of learners, teachers, scholars, and thinkers who share and promote a passion for learning and innovation in teaching and scholarship;
- Our passionate, loyal, and committed alumni;
- Diversity as an expression and affirmation of the human condition and as a source of strength and celebration for all members of the community;
- Fairness, justice, ethical development, and personal responsibility;
- Small classes and personal attention in a residential undergraduate environment where the daily interaction of faculty, staff, and students fosters critical thinking, advances knowledge through collaborative scholarship, respects academic freedom, and inspires lifelong learning;
- Disciplinary and interdisciplinary study;
- Intellectual, personal, social, ethical, and spiritual development within our local and global communities that prepares graduates for productive lives and careers; a breadth and depth of opportunities and experiences; and, the drive to help each other make meaningful and educated contributions to our world;
- Effective stewardship of all our resources—physical, intellectual, environmental, human, and financial; we strive to make decisions that are fiscally responsible;
- Opportunities for collegiality based on shared interests for the common good that lead to rich friendships among faculty, staff, students, alumni, and the greater Albion community.
Approved by the Albion College Board of Trustees, October 24, 2008.